I picked up a few raw foods tonight on my way home from work. I plan on starting my raw food journey once again… TOMORROW MORNING!
Eating raw is really a lifestyle. It can be done in stages, cold turkey all at once, whatever works for you, but make no mistake about it, this isn't something one does willy nilly. ;)
It is a completely different way of eating from the average American, but the benefits are amazing.
I have personally experienced:
- Clear Skin (struggle with acne normally)
- Amazing Health (no colds)
- More Energy (struggle with fatigue normally)
- Lighter Easier Cycles
- MAJOR WEIGHT LOSS (I have hypothyroidism and was able to lose 63 pounds in 8 months)
Having been raw before, I know how and have simply been working up to the mental change. It is a lifestyle change. It is different, no normal bread. No meats. No cooked foods. No cheese. These are difficult things to give up. But when you are mentally embracing the changes, it is easier. When you have eaten 100% raw foods for a while, your tastebuds change and you start really craving the yummy goodness that is raw food! You start feeling great, skin clears, you have tons of energy and weight starts falling off.
The cons. Yes, the lack of certain food groups… these are cons while you and your body get used to the changes. There are others.
- Give your body a chance to adjust to all the fiber. (I will leave it at that.) Takes a little while.
- Family meals-Take Out-Holidays (These normally exciting events become a challenge. You may find yourself making several meals. One for you, one for your family. You might be the only person not getting the Pizza that was just delivered. You might have to cook a Turkey, gravy and potatoes… without eating a bite!)
- Eventually getting side-effects if you do indulge in cooked foods here and there.
Then. After a short period of time. Cooked foods once a week would, crazy as it sounds, put me to sleep. Seriously. It was like an instant sleep drug. My husband would bring me home after lunch out with the family on a Sunday afternoon and I would fall fast asleep on the couch for 3 hours! It was so dramatic, my husband was the one to ask me to give up the cooked foods altogether. THIS IS THE CON I MENTIONED ABOVE. The side-effect of eating 100% raw for me… was that anything less put me fast to sleep.
I found it easy to eat raw over other foods.
So… how did I fall away? Why did it take so many years to get back to it? Easy. I had a major life change. I went back to work full time. :) The stress I felt as a working mom, trying to balance everything, I gave up exercising… there was no time. I slowly did the opposite of what is listed above. It was too much work for me to cook several meals for everyone and still make my own foods. So, I gave up raw dinners. Back to S.A.D. one meal by one meal.
Until I ate a normal American diet and had gained all my weight back.
My oldest daughter graduated this year. My youngest does in just three. I have settled into a very peaceful job title, that I know well. Life has opened back up for me to start caring more about myself. My health and spiritual life are taking on a new significance once again and I started exercising. I'm mentally ready for the change that raw foods brings.
Pop back in and see how the journey goes…. I hope to inspire you to health, vitality and living life more abundantly! :)